Sunday, June 28, 2009

Daddy Hugs

When I was young I was a total Daddy's Girl. I loved my Dad. I loved his hugs. I just remember feeling safe and his hugs always made things seem better. I remember the smell of his cologne. You know, the smell that would stay on your clothes after the hug. Why am I thinking about this? As most of you know, my parents have separated from us and have no contact with us. From time to time it is hard to not be able to call and talk to Dad but it has become easier over the last 7 years. Anyway, there is a couple in our assembly that are my adopted parents. He is so much like my Dad. We can go to them and talk to them about anything. We laugh and laugh. We went to visit with them last night. As we left "Dad" gave me a big hug. As we drove home I could still smell his cologne. It brought me back to being a girl and smelling my Dad's cologne on my shirt. It brought back the feelings of being safe and comforted. It was just so sweet to me. It reminded me that I am still a Daddy's girl, God just gave me a different Dad. I have so many things to be thankful for. God just knows me and he gave them to me. He gave me parents that we can go to for advice and comfort when my own choose to not be there. This is very precious to me. Thank you Lord for giving them to us and for the smell of "Dad's" cologne that flooded my heart with memories and comfort.

3 comments:

pandama said...

sister, i love your testimonies. they are always given with such a thankful heart and never complaining. oh i broke my leg today im sooo thankful. ;D lol no but seriously you are such a sweet example of praising our great God through anything and seeing the glass as half full. My heart went out to you when you talked about your dad and how you said god gave you a new dad to go to and how he gave you that. thanks for sharing your light. love you and c u soon

Barbara Reed said...

What a beautiful story, I was 16 when my dad passed away and I have great memories of him. Sometimes I just like to sit and hear stories about him. I love to tell my kids things he did and things he said it's almost like I can keep him more alive in my heart with the stories. My kids probably get tired of hearing them over and over though ha ha

Anonymous said...

What a sweet testimony of our how our God looks at our lives and reaches down with such care and blesses us with just what we need.
We love your "Dad" too ;)

Please keep resting your leg (and keep it on a big fluffy pillow the whole way here )so we can all see you here soon for the 4th!