Monday, February 2, 2009

Keeping Secrets

Keeping Secrets is where my mind is right now. I have been thinking about just a couple of scriptures like....


Proverbs 11:13 A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.

Yesterday a young Sister came to me to ask about something she had heard about another Sister. Ok, here is my problem. She began by saying the Sister that told her started by saying "She (meaning the Sister that it was about) didn't want people to know but....." then told this young Sister. I stopped the young Sister right there. We then had a visit about how conversations that begin like that are never good and how it is OK to stop even an older Sister and tell them you don't want to nor should hear it. It isn't rude it is what really needs to be done. We as brethren should be able to keep a secret. We should be able to go to an older sister to ask about some things without the fear that it would be everywhere. Do I understand what it is to be a friend or do I reveal a matter that would separate friends as the scriptures talk about? Am I perfect in this, no. I was young once too and have made plenty of mistakes. I just want to encourage my dear Sisters to be careful with what is repeated. Like I have written before...Is it a good report? Is it profitable? Is it encouraging? Am I one that that someone could feel safe to discuss a secret thing with? It is just sad to me that there are brethren that I would NEVER discuss a private matter with. My thoughts today..... measure what would come from my mouth. Is it full of the fruits of the spirit and profitable? Is it something that was told in secret? Is it to lift up or tear down.....Just my thoughts.

7 comments:

Sis Stubby said...

Amen sister!

JoAnn said...

Interesting that this would be your post today. The ministry at our assembly on Sunday was all about controlling your tounge & not being a tale bearer. I'm glad you spoke up and it stopped there. Not to hurt anyones feelings but because it was the right thing to do. I am usually too bashful to just stop someone from telling me anothers secret, but It is something I will be working on.

Kim said...

JoAnn, I guess it is always a good lesson and something we all need to be reminded of from time to time. I had to chuckle a little when reading your comment because if you have been a round me very much you know I am not bashful! LOL

Anonymous said...

You know my dad always taught me to be careful who I confide in because he said that when you tell one person something about another it can truly affect how they feel towards that person. Which is not fair to the person you're telling your secret to. He also told me if it was something I really felt I needed to get out then I should just tell it to God. I try to live by that as much as possible. It's not as hard as we can sometimes make it. I don't envy Elders and Elder's wives for the things they sometimes have to know when brethren come to them for guidance.

Anonymous said...

If feel the same way don't say anything to anyone unless you want other people to know & like Bethany said, just tell God if you really want to get it out

Jules said...

That is the truth! Gossip is such a bad thing, and something that goes on way too much! Then people tend to think about the bad things they have heard and not see the good things they are doing. It is a very important thing not to do.

pandama said...

thanks for the great reminder