Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Battle Scars.....

Today I was looking at my first age spot on the back of my hand. It made me think about sitting with Gram. One day I was sitting at her bedside and was holding her hand. I began to study it. Although there were many age spots, scars and wrinkles all I could see where the battle scars. I couldn't help but to think about all the battles those hands had weathered. She strove to serve the Lord for many years and in those years had her share of battles, heartaches and labors. I thought about how many times those hands held the sword and swung it to the left and swung it to the right to battle the adversary of her soul. I thought about the many times those hands were used to comfort and to show hospitality. I saw so many things as I studied her hands. As my hair grows whiter and the wrinkles and age spots appear will I look at them the same way? What will others see as they hold my hand in my last days? Will they see my aged body as a testament of the battles that were fought in my years in the faith? Will I look at them as treasured battle scars or will I complain and try to cover them up? God has brought me through many battles in my time in the faith and I am sure that many more are before me. I just hope I can always look at my battle scars as a reminder of all that God has brought me through.

"The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness. "

0 comments: